Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer Nights

Hey!
So I have no idea if anybody is actually going to read this, but I thought it would be cool to start a blog. I intend for it to be about music, love, spirituality, random musings, rants, I don't know, define a journal, then edit it a bit so it's more coherent. Trust me, my journal online would not go over well :)

Anyway, for my first post (!!!) I thought I would copy down two playlists I made recently. They're called "Summer Nights (the parties)" and "Summer Nights (the starry nights)".
The first playlist is exactly what it says it is: a playlist for summer's spontaneous fun! These songs are dancing songs, fun songs, old songs, catchy songs, anything that'll make your mood soar.
The second playlist is for the more quiet and sometimes melancholy bits of summer. These are for when you're maybe a bit lonely, or just content with lying out on the lawn with a few friends, gazing up at the sky. Or maybe they're for the quiet sweetness (sadness?) that comes with summer love.

Something I should explain about my playlists: They all tell a story. I choose all the songs very carefully to outline something special, and for this reason please listen to them in order. Oh, and by the way, all playlists should have 18 songs. So mine do.

Summer Nights (the parties)
1. "School's Out" -Alice Cooper
'nuf said.

2. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" -Beach Boys
Amazing song, amazing band.

3. "Born in the USA" -Bruce Springsteen
Okay, so this song I like because it's very powerful. Like "I know what I'm talking about so shut up and let me be a man and do whatever I want." I'm not a man. But… insert "woman" and that's what this song makes me feel.

4. "All Summer Long" -Kid Rock
I hate that Kid Rock stole this tune from Warren Zevon, but I like the song. So to make me feel better, also check out "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon.

5. "Crocodile Rock" -Elton John
I love Elton John, and this song reminds me of my childhood, because my mom always played this song.

6. "Juliet" -LMNT
7. "Mickey" -Toni Basil
Gotta love the eighties…

8. "Hound Dog" -Elvis Presley
9. "Shake It" -Metro Station
10. "Summer of 69" -Bryan Adams
Don't ever try to hold a plank through the entire thing. I tried, but then I thought it was ending and so I let go, only to discover I'd forgotten an entire chorus and a little riffy thing at the end.

11. "Electric Avenue" -Eddy Grant
12. "We Are Golden" -Mika
I ADORE Mika.

13. "Eye of the Tiger" -Survivor
Don't judge.

14. "Dragostea Din Tei" -O-zone
I first heard this song at camp, fell in love with it, and can now sing the entire thing in Romanian.

15. "Walk This Way" -Run DMC feat. Aerosmith
16. "Electric Feel" -MGMT
17. "Let's Spend the Night Together" -The Rolling Stones
18. "YMCA" -Village People
The traditional dance song.

Summer Nights (the starry nights)
1. "Summer Nights" -Grease
2. "The Joker" -Steve Miller Band
3. "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" -Queen
Queen was once my favorite band, and is now my second favorite band. Of all time. Which is saying quite a bit.

4. "One Love" -Bob Marley
5. "Haven't Met You Yet" -Michael Buble
Once again, don't judge. Michael Buble is awesome.

6. "Brand New Way" -Rhett Miller
7. "You Make My Dreams" -Hall&Oates
8. "Come On Eileen" -Dexy's Midnight Runners
I love this song and wish more people knew it.

9. "Simple as it Should Be" -Tristan Pettyman
10. "Groovin' Slowly" -John Butler Trio
This is really where the summer night sets in, and you're, well, grooving slowly.

11. "American Pie" -Don Maclean
12. "To the One I Love" -REM
13. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" -Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Yes, I had to copy-paste his last name.

14. "Thunder Only Happens When It's Raining" -Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac is absolutely the coolest band ever. They represent everything I've ever wanted to be and more. I saw them live last summer… This song was playing when my Dad and I walked in.

15. "Dreams Be Dreams" -Jack Johnson
16. "Cinders and Smoke" -Iron & Wine
17. "Our Last Summer" -ABBA
My first ever favorite band, now my third favorite band. This song is great - listen to this, not the Mamma Mia version, even though I like that too. Ohhhh Pierce Brosnan you cannot sing *shudder shudder* …no, he's not that bad, I suppose.
18. "Summer Skin" -Death Cab for Cutie
I lovelovelove Death Cab for Cutie, and they are right up there in my top ten bands.

Hope you've enjoyed the playlists! Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I agree about the Dexys Midnight Runners. Great song.
    You must play me some of these when you see me! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me gusta chica :) To iTunes!!

    ReplyDelete